Introducing JP Moreland
JP Moreland is one of the most refreshing defenders of the Christian position currently taking part in debates with non-Christian intellectuals.
He is himself an intellectual giant, razor sharp, humourous, passionate. In this debate on the existence of God he covers the standard Christian arguments, namely,
1. The Origins of the Universe
2. Inference from Design – The Fine Tuning of the Universe/Information in DNA
3. The Existence of Objective Moral Law
A charismatic intellectual and an intellectual charismatic!
In addition, he argues passionately for the reliability of the New Testament, and, unlike almost every other Christian apologist I’ve heard, he argues that part of the evidence that verifies the Christian position is the current reality of physical healings taking place.
He refers not only to things happening globally but also in his own home church. The impact of this on his opponent, Clancy Martin (Prof and Chair of Philosophy, University of Missouri KC), is striking.
One could argue that JP is presenting a more rounded, balanced and Biblical defence by bringing in contemporary examples of God’s power in the experience of Christians as evidence for God’s existence.
But you be the judge. Have a listen and feel free to leave a comment.
JP is distinguished Professor of Philosophy at Talbot School of Theology, Biola University, California. For a full list of his extensive academic achievements click here
He is the author of many books including:
- Scaling the Secular City: A Defense of Christianity (1987)
- Christianity and the Nature of Science: A Philosophical Examination (1989)
- The Life and Death Debate: Moral Issues of Our Time (with Norman Geisler, 1990)
- Does God Exist?: The Debate Between Atheists and Theists (with Kai Nielsen, 1990)
- The Creation Hypothesis: Scientific Evidence for An Intelligent Designer (1994)
- Love Your God With All Your Mind: The Role of Reason in the Life of the Soul (1997)
- Body and Soul: Human Nature and the Crisis of Ethics (with Scott Rae, 2000)
- Naturalism: A Critical Analysis (co-editor with William Lane Craig, 2000)
- Philosophical Foundations for a Christian Worldview (with William Lane Craig, 2003)
- Kingdom Triangle: Recover the Christian Mind, Renovate the Soul, Restore the Spirit’s Power (2007)
- Consciousness and the Existence of God (2009)
- The Recalcitrant Imago Dei (2009)
- The God Question: An Invitation to a Life of Meaning (2009)
© 2012 Lex Loizides / Church History Blog